Celebrating Careers In Construction Month
Posted on: October 27, 2023
Let’s talk about Careers In Construction Month and why it’s such an important event. Careers In Construction Month (CICM) is an annual celebration that takes place in October, dedicated to highlighting the opportunities and benefits of pursuing a career in the construction industry. It aims to raise awareness about the various career paths available, from skilled trades like carpentry and plumbing to project management and engineering.
Why is it important? The construction industry plays a vital role in our society, shaping our cities and infrastructure. However, there is a growing shortage of skilled workers in this field. By promoting Careers In Construction Month, we can inspire more individuals to consider a career in construction and help bridge this gap.
At Eagle Construction, we understand the significance of sparking our youth’s interest in the trades. That’s why we provide internship programs designed for college students. These programs offer a valuable opportunity to explore and gain hands-on experience in the dynamic world of the construction industry.
Meet Matt Sinclair, our talented Project Engineer at our PowderHaus construction site. Matt’s journey in the construction industry began as an intern with Eagle Construction in the summer of 2022. After recently graduating from South Dakota State University, he joined our team full-time. Curious about his career choice? Keep scrolling to find out more about Matt and his passion for construction.
What made you choose a career in construction after graduating from college?
- I chose a career in construction after graduating from college because I have always worked a construction-related job and decided my sophomore year of college that I wanted to pursue a career in construction. I enjoy the process of taking a project from just drawings on paper to a finished building that people get to use and enjoy.
What specific construction-related courses or experiences have prepared you for this career?
- A couple of the courses I completed in college that prepared me for this career would be project management, scheduling, and estimating. These courses taught me a lot of useful information that I use today. Where I got my basic understanding for construction was in high school when I worked for a lumberyard/residential construction company. Getting to help build multiple houses taught me a lot about the construction process and materials. The best experience I had though was my project engineer internship with Eagle Construction the summer between my junior and senior year of college. That internship prepared me the most for my job today, as I now work as a project engineer for Eagle Construction.
How do you envision your role in the construction industry? What kind of projects or positions are you interested in?
- I am hoping to someday get to the level of project manager. The projects I am interested in are multifamily residential projects as well as commercial projects.
What are some key skills necessary for success in a construction career?
- The ability to communicate and organize are necessary skills for success in a construction career. There is a lot happening on a construction site at all times, so being able to effectively communicate and organize is key.
What safety measures do you consider most important on a construction site, and how do you ensure compliance?
- Safety is the number one priority on a construction site. I would consider proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and fall protection to be two of the most important safety items on a construction site. Compliance is ensured through weekly safety discussions and weekly/monthly safety inspections. Also, observations are created and sent out when someone is not complying with Eagle’s safety guidelines.
What advice would you give to someone considering a career in construction?
- Get as much experience as possible. Whether that is through an internship or part-time job, having experience in construction will significantly improve your resume and help to land the job you want. It will also teach you the skills you will need to have a successful career in construction.
Whether you’re interested in becoming a carpenter, electrician, plumber, or any other trade professional, now is the time to dive into this dynamic field. There are numerous career options available for both entry-level positions and those looking to advance their careers in construction. So why wait? Embrace the opportunities that Careers In Construction Month presents and start building your own rewarding career path today! Want to join the Eagle Construction team? Check out our openings and apply today!